Getting to Breb by car is quite simple. It all depends on where your coming from. We often drive from the UK. You can do it in two days if you like Red Bull and have a death wish. We take three days, it’s a long way. So much easier to catch a flight to Cluj Napoca and pick up a hire car there, that’s if your just coming to us. If your on tour, I have added a Google map above with the ability to give directions. Just click on the directions link in the text bubble and it will take you to a page in Google maps. Add your location or where you want the directions to start from and it will create a map and written directions that you can print out. Quite how it works, I don’t know,but it does work.
Coming from Europe
If you using a European GPS in the car, Romania is normally not on the map, I have tried several times to buy a road map for Romania to add to my Garmin and, well I have failed so far. If you coming from Europe, you can cross at Sata Mare, the border is easy, no que’s and a couple of hours drive from the Village Hotel. If you type in Sata Mare as your leaving point in the directions button here it will allow you to print off a list of directions to get to Breb.
- Basilcay head to Bia Mare, then Bai Spre ( signs for Sighetu Maramti)
- when you arrive in Bai PSre turn right after Liddles Supermarket up the hill for Cavnic. Keep climbing and go past the ski resort untill you hit Budesti.
- Take the right fork to Sighetu and Ocnar.
- A few kilometers down the road you will see a very small hand made sign for Breb. It’s a left hand turn down the hill.
Coming from Cluj Napoca Airport
The good thing about Cluj Napoca airport is it way out of Cluj in the right direction for Breb, so no need to deal with city traffic.
- Pick up your car and on leaving the airport barriers onto the main road, turn left.
- Keep going following signs for Dej
- After Dej take a right signposted for Targu Lapus
- Go through Targu Lapus, over the bridge and turn left.
- Follow the road through several villages until you see a turning on your left for Cavnic.
- Follow the road up over the mountain ( do not attempt in the winter it is not cleared of snow) until you come down into Cavnic.
- Take a right had turn up the hill towards the ski resort, keep going until you hit Budesti.
- Take the left fork to Sighetu and Ocnar.
- A few kilometers down the road you will see a very small hand made sign saying “The Village Hotel”. It’s a left hand turn down the hill into Breb.
- When you get to the bus stop, turn left
- Follow the signs to the village hotel and we will see you there.
Coming from the Ukraine
The border with the Ukraine and Romania is simple and straight forward. Make sure you travel outside of rush our times, especially weekends as good are cheaper in the Ukraine and you get a lot of day trippers coming over. Let the guards know your a ‘tourist’ and not snuggling circulates, they may let you jump the que.
- Once you ahve cleared customs, drive into Sighetu , drive down the main street and head for Bai Mare.
- Keep on the Bia Mare road for 20kms or so until you reach a village called Feresti.
- Take a left turning sign posted for Ocnar Sugartag.
- Head up the hill and drive straight through Ocnar until us see the Guitin mountain on your right.
- Look out for Breb’s church below on the right and then you will see the right hand turning for the village. There is normally a small sign saying Breb.
Once in Breb
Follow the road down into the village, when you get to the T juntion ( the left T is a dirt track) next to the bus stop, tunr left. 50 meters along you will have a house on front of you with the road carring on to the left and a smaller track going up to the right. Take the right track and keep going till you see our place on the right. Drive in down the slope and up to Casa Mica.